Sunday, October 24, 2004

God's Comfort • October 24, 2004

Joel 2:23-32; Psalm 65; 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18; Luke 18:9-14

Sermon by Michael R. Martin
First United Methodist Church of Saranac Lake, NY

Ever have one of those weeks where you just don’t seem to get anything worthwhile accomplished and you are sort of feeling a bit down and a bit worthless? Well, I am at the tail end of two weeks in a row like that. I haven’t been getting anything done at work, days and nights have gone by with nothing accomplished. And right smack in the middle of it, a good friend dies suddenly.

Twenty four hours after hearing of Rob’s death, I found myself sitting with my bibles and my journal. I turned to a little resource I think I adapted from the back of an old Gideon’s Bible, entitled “Help in Time of Need.” I was directed to a couple of verses listed under “Comfort in Time of Sorrow” that I would like to share with you this morning. I guess if I have a message to share today, it is contained in these verses I am about to share, from the New Living Translation bible. May you be blessed and refreshed by His holy word.
2 Cor. 1:3-5 All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. You can be sure that the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.
Romans 8:26-28 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
And I am not sure how I stumbled upon this last reading, but I hope you will find it as uplifting as I did.

Col. 3:12-16 Since God chose you to be the holy people whom he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. And the most important piece of clothing you must wear is love. Love is what binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise. Use his words to teach and counsel each other. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.
May God bless you and keep you, my friends.

Michael R. Martin – October 24, 2004
First UMC of Saranac Lake, 8:30AM

No comments:

Post a Comment