Sunday, July 31, 2005

July 3, 2005

Genesis 24:34-38,42-49, 58-67; Romans 7:15-25a; Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30

Sermon by Michael R. Martin
First United Methodist Church of Saranac Lake, NY

Romans 7:15-25 (NLT)

I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate. [16] I know perfectly well that what I am doing is wrong, and my bad conscience shows that I agree that the law is good. [17] But I can't help myself, because it is sin inside me that makes me do these evil things.

[18] I know I am rotten through and through so far as my old sinful nature is concerned. No matter which way I turn, I can't make myself do right. I want to, but I can't. [19] When I want to do good, I don't. And when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway. [20] But if I am doing what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing it; the sin within me is doing it.

[21] It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. [22] I love God's law with all my heart. [23] But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. [24] Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? [25] Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

This passage always strikes a little too close to home for me. It reminds me of my youth, growing up. There is a certain age in a boy’s life -- at least in my life and I see it on occasion in my son – a certain age when you know doing something is wrong, but you can’t help but do it anyway. Or worse yet, you do something just to see what might happen, not knowing whether it is right or wrong. When I was young and we were living on Cape Cod, my father had a workshop in the basement of the house where he kept his tools and I would watch him for hours, working on this or fixing that. For some reason, the house had several electric meters and they were located in the basement. The meters were the old glass kind with the spinning wheel inside, sealed with a tag to prevent tampering. One day, I decided to see what would happen if I took a hammer and smashed the meters open. Needless to say, it caused a little bit of a stir at the Martin household.

Life is full of these kind of learning experiences. Generally, we are still a species that learns by doing, as well as by example. When Paul laments his inability to rid himself of a sinful nature, he is not talking about those innocent things we do because we do not know any better. He is talking about those frustrating times when we know right from wrong and we still struggle to make the right choice.

7:15 Paul shares three lessons that he learned in trying to deal with his old sinful desires. (1) Knowledge is not the answer (Romans 7:9). Paul felt fine as long as he did not understand what the law demanded. When he learned the truth, he knew he was doomed. (2) Self-determination (struggling in one’s own strength) doesn’t succeed (Romans 7:15). Paul found himself sinning in ways that weren’t even attractive to him. (3) Becoming a Christian does not stamp out all sin and temptation from a person’s life (Romans 7:22-25).

Being born again takes a moment of faith, but becoming like Christ is a lifelong process. Paul compares Christian growth to a strenuous race or fight (1 Cor. 9:24-27; 2 Tim. 4:7). Thus, as Paul has been emphasizing since the beginning of his letter to the Romans, no one in the world is innocent; no one deserves to be saved—not the pagan who doesn’t know God’s laws, not the Christian or Jew who knows them and tries to keep them. All of us must depend totally on the work of Christ for our salvation. We cannot earn it by our good behavior.

7:15 This is more than the cry of one desperate man—it describes the experience of any Christian struggling against sin or trying to please God by keeping rules and laws without the Spirit’s help. We must never underestimate the power of sin. We must never attempt to fight it in our own strength. Satan is a crafty tempter, and we have an amazing ability to make excuses. Instead of trying to overcome sin with human willpower, we must take hold of the tremendous power of Christ that is available to us. This is God’s provision for victory over sin—he sends the Holy Spirit to live in us and give us power. And when we fall, he lovingly reaches out to help us up.

7:23-25 This inward struggle with sin was as real for Paul as it is for us. From Paul we learn what to do about it. Whenever Paul felt lost, he would return to the beginning of his spiritual life, remembering that he had already been freed by Jesus Christ. When you feel confused and overwhelmed by sin’s appeal, follow Paul’s example: thank God that he has given you freedom through Jesus Christ. Let the reality of Christ’s power lift you up to real victory over sin.

I have a riddle for you this morning:
Question: What happens when you don't pray?
Answer: Nothing!

This riddle works for the atheist and the Christian alike. The atheist believes in nothing, so if you don’t pray, nothing happens. It is meaningless. The Christian believes in the power of prayer, so if you don’t pray, nothing happens. The bible instructs us to pray – not so God will know our needs, but so God will know our love for Him, our commitment to Him.

So if you are ever troubled by sin, unfortunately a natural human condition, take it to God in prayer. What happens when you don’t pray? Nothing. What happens when you DO pray? God listens, God gives you strength, God answers prayer.

Amen

Michael R. Martin – July 3, 2005
First UMC of Saranac Lake, 8:30AM

PRAYER

Almighty God, ruler of all nations:
we pray for our nation and its people, and for our leaders.
May we be mindful of your favor and obedient to your will.
Forgive our shortcomings as a nation,
and purify our hearts
to know the truth that alone can make us free.
Save us from injustice and oppression,
from pride and arrogance,
and from greed and self-centeredness.
Increase our concern for people beyond our own boundaries
and for the poor and afflicted in our own land,
that we may be a blessing and an example to all nations.
Bring us at last to that day
when the whole world shall know peace and blessedness,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment